Choral Ensembles Auditions
KSU Choral Ensembles are open to students of any major.
Find out more!
KSU Choral Reception
Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Student Center Ballroom, Room 306ABC
All students interested in joining a KSU Choir should plan to attend! Learn more about each ensemble, meet faculty, directors and sign up for your audition. Light refreshments will also be served.
Chorale, Coro Cantare, Cantique
- Who needs to audition: Anyone interested in joining a choir needs to audition for placement.
- When: Thursday, August 22 and Friday, August 23.
- Based on these auditions, students will be placed in the ensemble that best fits their abilities.
Gospel Choir and Kent Chorus
- Placement auditions will be held during the first rehearsal for Gospel Choir (Aug. 26) and Kent Chorus (Aug. 27).
Here’s what you’ll do for the audition
- Vocalizing to assess tone quality and range
- Aural skills exercises such as pitch matching and melodic memory
- Rhythm reading
- Sight reading
- No need to bring a prepared song!
Nova Jazz Singers
Auditions are held with Dr. Venesile. For more information, please visit their page here.
- Don’t stop singing over the summer, keep using your voice!
- Do the vocal exercises you’ve done with previous choirs.
- Practice pitch matching. Play three notes and match each.
- Play a four-note melody and sing it back.
- Practice sight-reading and rhythm skills.
- A little bit of practice will go a long way!
- WARM UP! It is important that your voice is warmed up before you audition.
- Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes early to fill out an audition form.
- If you need to change your audition, please remove your reserved time on the online form and then set a new time.
- Placement audition results will be emailed to you by Wednesday at 5 p.m.
Leave room in your schedule for the choir of your choice. You can register after the audition results are announced.